Your Meeting with a College Soccer Coach
When you enter your senior year in high
school, you may have a chance to speak with a college
coach who calls, stops by, or sees you during a visit
to the coach's college or university. When the coach takes
time to talk to you and to introduce the school, program, and playing opportunity, you
have the chance to ask questions that will help you make your decision, and, at the same
time, help you and the coach decide if the school and playing opportunity is a good match
for your interests and for the team needs. If
it turns out that there is a good match, your having
asked these questions will help the coach feel confident
that you are serious about the opportunity.
- Is this a four year or two year school?
- Is the school public or private?
- Where is the school located?
- Is this in the country, a small town, or
in an urban area?
- What is the campus like?
- How large is the school, what is the
- What are the strongest degree programs
offered, and which are the best academic departments?
- What degree programs are popular with
current soccer players?
- Do most students live on campus or in
- What is the student housing like?
- Do the members of the soccer team room
- What transportation is possible from my
home to the campus?
- What is the academic calendar - quarters,
- What computing resources and library
services are available to students?
- What do you do to help players with their
school work? Is tutoring provided?
About the College Soccer Program and the Team
- In what division does the school play?
(NAIA, I, II, III, NJCAA)
- In what conference is the team?
- What important non-conference teams are
- Can you provide a schedule for next fall?
- What was the team's conference and overall
record this year?
- How many players will there be on the
roster next year?
- How many will travel with the team?
- What training happens between seasons?
- What is the pre-season schedule?
- What is the practice schedule after school
- Including meetings, training, travel, and
matches, how much time is required?
- What facilities and staff are available to
take care of injuries and rehab?
- What is the style of play you want to see?
- What are your goals for the team?
About the Coach's Needs for the Soccer Team
- How many seniors are graduating?
- Are there red shirt players returning?
- Where would I play in the team?
- How much playing time should I expect as a
- How many other players are playing that
- Are your recruiting other players for that
position? Have you committed to any?
How to Go Forward
- Where am I on your board now?
- Have you seen me play?
- Which tournaments will you be attending?
(appropriate before January)
- Do you have our team's schedule for this
fall? (appropriate in the Fall)
- Have you talked with my coaches?
- Do you have a copy of my playing resume
- What's the next step? What should I
do ? Do you see me as a serious possibility?
After this last question, let silence
work for you. Listen carefully and let the coach explain fully.